Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Reality of Augmented Reality

Last month Geocaching HQ announced that they are experimenting with augmented reality caches for a limited window.  Each cache has the same disclaimer:
This cache is part of an experiment that allows the use of Augmented Reality (AR) apps to find the cache. At the end of this experiment, Geocaching HQ will decide if this cache will be grandfathered or archived. Geocaching HQ reserves the right to archive this cache at any time if conditions change. If you have found this cache and would like to give feedback on your experience, please fill out this survey.”
Blog posts, podcasts and emails abound, but I was over my head in Salesforce development at work so no time for AR. Slamere72 was the first local cacher I was aware of to publish an AR_ cache. She was kind enough to answer a few questions, but still... no time.

Then slamere72 put a call on Facebook. She was creating a second one and wanted input from the local community. Sure, we're game. We submitted some photos and a simple geography question -- and that's how we found ourselves as part of the experience (lower right corner).

AR_Wally's GeoAdventure GC7RF90

Cutest Couple Ever



Our interest was piqued when both @BigTom and @Team-Gates both published AR caches for HBUSA.  What a hoot! These augmented reality experiences are a cross between Pokemon and Wherigos and onsite puzzles. 


I like the fact that we don't have to print out long cache pages to answer puzzle questions. On the down side, it doesn't work on TaGeez's Android. After completing @BigTom's AR_Augmented Reality Veteran's Memorial Pointe SQ and @Team-Gate's AR_HBUSA - George Needs Your Help!, I thought it was time for me to give it a go.  I created a free account on Metaverse, spent hours watching videos on YouTube, and writing up my own script. I finally set this new experience in motion and... failed. DRAT! An entire's day work, and I keep receiving network errors. 

Maybe my wizard fell asleep?




RESOURCES

Geocaching.com - AR Cache Type
Metaverse - a free Augmented Reality creation tool
Get the experience player for your smart device: IOS: Metaverse and Android: Metaverse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!