Sunday, June 23, 2019

MSPCGT: The Bugs are Taking Over

Before heading up North a coworker - a native Yooper - warned me about the clouds. "Look for them off the Mackinaw Bridge. Look to the East. It looks like smoke from a fire. It's bugs."

Ok, admittedly I thought she was pulling my leg, but our first stop at Tawas Point proved her right. Who knew? 


This one's at the Village of Fayette. It doesn't look like much, but that cloud is like a mile away. ShelleyJean has better pictures of the swarms.


And the bugs were bad, but luckily we came prepared. I felt stupid for about 3 seconds and then relief! Soon we were wearing them in town without a second thought because the gnats, midges, mayflies, fish flies, and mosquitoes were bad! We heard we missed the black fly hatching by just a few days! It's been a wet Spring, so it will only get worse.


This is my head net - Sea to Summit. It cost a little more, but I liked it better than the cheaper one TaGeez found in the State Park gift shop. This one has a drawstring around the neck instead of elastic and came with a protective pouch (to avoid unnecessary holes).


With 56 more State Parks to go, this will be our most invaluable tool of the trade. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!