Monday, December 24, 2018

Beware the Trackable Gallery


Ho Ho Ho!

Isn't this a great photo? I gave this trackable ornament to my very fun geocaching friend for Christmas this year, and she took this picture of it in her tree. I love how the lights glow through the stained glass and how it (almost) reflects the North star. 

From I.B. Geocaching Supplies - Nova Scotia

And, apparently, quite a few people online loved it, too. I awoke the next morning with a message from my friend. "Did you post a picture of it online?"

Oh no! A mystery to solve!

Overnight, she had received about a dozen (and counting) discovery logs along the lines of "Thank you for sharing this in the Trackable Gallery"! She had uploaded the picture to her newly-activated trackable page with the tracking code visible and people are trolling the gallery for virtual discoveries!

Play > Trackables > Photo Gallery

WOW! I had wondered when you visit people's stats and they've discovered THOUSANDS of TB's how they do this! Personally, unless it's for a special reason, I don't normally do virtual Discover logs - to each his own - no judgement  here. But, if you don't want this, hide the TB number when you upload pics for the geocoins and travel bugs you receive for Christmas this year!

Doing an experiment, it seems the only photos appearing in the TB Gallery are those uploaded using the Upload an Image option on the TB page. I attached a photo to a TB log, and it didn't appear. I suspect a TB image embedded in a TB write-up won't appear here, either.



On the plus side, I'm scrolling through the pictures in the gallery and there's so many cool coins and hitchhikers! Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!