Monday, March 4, 2019

Virtual Happiness in Chicago



Shoes off, bags unpacked, and photos uploaded. I just returned from a fabulous birthday weekend with WikidKriket - The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and several of the new 2017 Virtuals!

There are no spoilers in this post.



Museum Campus - Chicago GC7B9M3

Our weekend started when we pulled into an exorbitantly priced parking garage to visit the Field Museum.  Although I've been to Chicago five times in my life, it's been 12 years since my last visit to the museum. Brutal cold winds under the beautiful blue sky, Kriket and I decided to spend the entire day in the Museum.   

Scrapcat and the T-Rex called Sue

Of course, as a streaker, I needed my cache fix and there just happened to be a Virtual posted at the back door. To log, you can either stand out in the cold & collect information from ten placards, or you can take a photo in front of one of several waypoints including....

The Field Museum or....


The Shedd Aquarium.  Done!


It was a great first day that ended with Chicago hot dogs, visits to the Lego and Ghirardelli Stores, dinner at Pizano's Pizza, and a birthday dessert with the family. Early next morning we checked out of The Tremont on the Mag Mile, and headed for a delightful day at the aquarium. 

Before heading home, we detoured to the Magnificent Mile for a few more touristy sites and  new VIRTUALS!


The Art Institute of Chicago GC7B6B1

Along the Mag Mile are several new Virtual rewards, but I had to be picky as we needed to hit the road, WOW! It was getting cold so it was good and bad that these were relatively quick. The IAC Virtual just needed a photo in front of the famed lions and a few questions from a sign nearby.



Crown Fountain GC7B9BZ

Literally next door is the Crown Fountain at Millennium Park.  I've wanted to visit this for years, but, of course in the dead of Winter, the fountain wasn't running.  This virtual requires a photo of yourself in front of one of the 50' towers. In summer, the face looks as if the water was spouting from their mouths. 



If the fountain had been running, I would've been standing in the reflective pond. Good thing for me it wasn't or I'd still be frozen in place.


Cloud Gate aka The Bean GCJZDR

Since we were here and this is next door to Crown Fountain, Kriket and I moseyed over to this historic Virtual. It was an amazing trip with Kriket, and I'm glad to add this photo to my geo-gallery. 



Did you notice the large ghost in my hand? He's the latest in my growing Virtual geocoin collection. I actually own 3 more, but two were misplaced during house renovations and one is lost behind a brass plaque at the Beetle People Virtual in Cleveland, OH.

5 geocoins, 1 trackable, and 1 pin
Most glow in the dark

It was an amazing way to spend my birthday weekend - I love my road trips with my sister. I'll have to bring TaGeez back for another go at the new Virtuals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!