Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Favorite Point and Photo Notifications




Oh, the joys of modern technology! Heard a fabulous tip on the GCPC Episode 534 – Useful Apps for Geocaching episode for Project-GC.com and have been reaping the benefits for two months!

Project-GC.com is the easiest way to view your geocaching stats, upload trackable “Discover” logs in bulk, and check if you qualify for local challenges. It has two memberships: free and paid. Admittedly, I’m a big fan, but the $30USD annually does add up. (Makes me chuckle to myself when I see geocaching is touted on all the summer-fun lists as a free past time for spending time with your loved ones. I’m sure that could be done but not by me 😊 THAT’S a topic for another blog post).
These tips are for Paid Project-GC Membership Only - Sorry.
With these two new features, though, I’m hooked even more! As a geocache hider (proud owner of 162 geocaches to date), I will often miss pictures or Favorite Points posted to my cache page unless someone mentions it in their logs. You can’t be everywhere every time, and I wish Geocaching.com had a mechanism to share this info in their “Found It” emails to me.

With a few clicks in your Settings, you can receive email notifications when Favorite Points have been added/removed from your cache, pictures uploaded to a log or if a log has been edited.

GOOD TO KNOW: ShortyKnits from GCPC made a great point about that last one if you are a Challenge Cache owner – Cachers logging a note on Challenge Caches saying they will update it to a Found It log after they qualify. This will catch those who log the note and then return immediately to change it to a Found It log – thinking they’ve slipped something past you as Geocaching.com doesn’t notify you when logs have been edited. Sneaky sneaky!

For paid members of Project-GC, go to Project-GC.com, click the Account Profile drop-down (1) and then click Settings (2).



In the next window, scroll down to the Notifiers section. Check the boxes next to the notification types. As I receive Event notifications from multiple sources in Michigan, I’ve elected to leave that one be. After making your selections, click Update Settings.



Then sit back and wait for the emails! That easy! My first Photo Notification email included all the photos, grouped by geocache, to date. It was a hoot scrolling through them! After that, you only receive emails when someone adds a new photo to one of your caches.



And here’s an example of a Favorite Point notification. This one is a double-edged sword because I’ve watched (with great sadness) some of my friends remove Favorite Points from my caches after they have been archived. If my cache deserved a Fave when you logged it, it still deserved it after I archived it. It earned it, and it messes with my stats (sorry, off my soapbox now).



Never miss a photo or Favorite Point again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!