Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Searching for Challenge Caches

A dear friend of mine emailed me - she wanted to know how to pull a list of challenge caches from Geocaching.com. Here is my quick and easy pull, but be aware. Premium members have better filtering rights than Basic members.



1. Access Geocaching.com and execute a search for the State or Region you are interested in.
2. After executing your search (notice the 34,503 results for Michigan), click the Filters button.



3. In the Filters window, deselect all but the Mystery Geocache Type.  This will prevent inclusion of other caches in your query (like a Traditional called "This is a challenge!")
4. Enter the keyword challenge in the Geocache Name Contains... field.
5. (Optional) Select I haven't found to exclude your found caches.
6. (Optional) Select I don't own to exclude caches hidden by you.
7. Click the Search button (or Update Search button, if you are updating your query) to execute your search.


Your search results now appear. Notice we went from 34,503 to 346 results in Michigan (for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!