Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Geocaching 101: Caching Essentials Kits

Today’s topic is Geocaching Essentials kits.  I had been thinking of this for quite some time (since GeoBash, actually, when I bought all these small easy-to-lose caching toys).  On Monday, I even started gathering my stuff together (mainly because when I cleaned my car I almost sucked my new logroller down the vacuum).  Then, on my ride into work this morning, I heard Sonny on the Podcacher show talk about carrying essential tools on a carabiner.  So, it was time.  How many more reminders did I need to start putting these together?

What are “Essentials” kits?  Sometimes, when you are out grabbing some quick caches or on a numbers run, you don’t need a full Geocaching gear pack.  You just need…. The essentials!  I thought these would make good stocking stuffers or items for raffles.  This is a good starter kit for newer cachers and Scouts.  Plus, since most of the items are inexpensive, you can make a few to have onhand at all times.


To make sure I didn’t miss anything, I even put the question out on the Southeastern Michigan Geocaching Group.  These were the suggestions they had for my watertight containers bought at the local outdoor store (I will continue to update this list as suggestions arise):


  • Mini pen and/or pencil
  • Tweezers
  • Small blade for making other tools or sharpening pencils
  • Spare log paper
  • Batteries (if using a hand-held GPSr).
  • Path tags
  • Log roller (or DougPeterson’s Famous Extraction Tool featured in this cache description)
  • Contact card with cacher name plus emergency info
  • Single-serving sunscreen
  • Band-aids
  • Tick key and poison ivy wipe

I also intend to compile a list for Geocaching Gear Packs. Keep in mind that the contents of either the pack or the kit will vary based on geography, climate, personal preferences, etc.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign my (b)log!